Jan 30, 2011

Impressions

I've been in Ha Noi for exactly 10 days. Most of the time I'm stuck in the office working but starting this Tuesdays it's going to be national holidays so it's party time! Well in 2 more days I guess. This Thursday (3/2) is 30/12 according to Lunar Calendar so the people here celebrate Tet (don't say Chinese New Year, it's not cool to say so. Well not really, it's complicated. I'll explain it next time) so I can take the time off from work for a week and return to work on 14/2, finish everything on 20/2, leaving here on 22/2.

First, if you're coming here for any reasons, brings along diarrhea/stomachache medicine. The foods are delicious and dirty, you'll get an upset stomachache or even worse diarrhea from eating out. If you cook your own stuffs, maybe not. I get used to the dirtiness after 2 days, let's see how long it's gonna take you.

Secondly, it's dirty. Going out to the streets means inhaling a ton of CO2 and dusts and all kind of invisible airborne stuffs. No, I'm not anal retentive about cleanliness. Trust me when I say it's unbearable when I first got here.

Thirdly, it's cold. It's a biting kind of cold because of the high humidity, for the past few days, it was around 7 to 10 Celsius degrees. My main method of travel has been on a motorbike so it's even colder because of the wind when I'm travelling at 60 kph. No, I don't drive, my mate does. This leads me to point 4.

The streets are crazy. It's a kind of controlled chaos. The majority travel on motorbikes and they swarm the street during rush hours, weaving around the traffics like there's no tomorrow. The first time my mate drove me around I was scared actually, afraid that I will return home with a broken leg. And when people want to cross the streets, they just walk across like the streets are empty. It's funny actually. The motorbikes just kinda swerve around the pedestrians and move on, at 40 or something kph, like it's the normal thing to do.

That's all I've got for now. What about the debauchery part, the dirty part of the city? Well, for next time dear readers.

PS: The best thing about playing pool here is that when you finish a game, a pretty girl comes over and prepares the table for the next game for you, you don't have to lift a finger.

20 comments:

  1. I'm liking the pool part :))) Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vietnam doesn't seem to be like I imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doo: will do :)
    Teutorix: how did you imagine it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll make sure to play Pool when I visit Ha Noi :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe take some pictures? :o In any case, stay safe. Your take on the city is exactly mine on NYC. I dislike having to go there more than I have to. Only thing you didn't mention is possible crime but you did say you have some dirtier parts to discuss...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember to pot the pink before the brown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why are you in Vietnam?
    I went to Mexico once and got sicker than a dog.. stay safe!!

    (Thanks for your kind words!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take pictures! I doubt I would EVER try driving in any country like that. Surely we Americans would fail miserably at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. outside of playing pool and the lessons of survival on a motorbike - I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thats pretty cool. happy chinese new year to ya

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you enjoy your stay in 'Nam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello:)!

    thanks so much for your comment :)!

    i really like your blog!

    Wish you a great start in the new week :)

    with love
    Mariza
    http://mar-iza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a hard time imagining Vietnam being cold, too many war movies I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "PS: The best thing about playing pool here is that when you finish a game, a pretty girl comes over and prepares the table for the next game for you, you don't have to lift a finger."

    For real? O_o

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a great time on a pool table in Subic City Phillipines once. Love the LBFM's.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow Vietnam sounds pretty cool

    ReplyDelete