Jan 21, 2011

Life story

I play pool leisurely with friends, once, maybe twice per week and about an hour each. If there's one thing I learned from this game, it's having faith in your guts feeling.

If I feel that I can probably make a shot then I will. If I aim the cue and there's this sinking feeling telling me I'm not gonna make it then surely the shot is gonna be off. I don't know if this is self fulfilling prophecy but what I'd usually do is re-evaluate the situation and try another shot.

Of course, the pros will use logic and calculate the most optimal shot but I'm an armatuer so I follow my feelings, not my head.

Now, over the pool last week I had a lengthy conversation with a good friend of mine. We reminisced about the 5 years we spent in university together and all the things in between. I must say it frightens me to see how similar he is to me. Why? Because I don't want to become someone like that. The reasons are many and varied so I'll leave it for another time.

The one thing we realized 5 years too late is you'd better have perseverance in life. When we first got into university, things were going good things were going great. You know that feeling of exuberant, of invincible when you first start doing something? That's how we were.

The first semester we all pour in efforts and energy and enthusiasm acing subjects. And all these feeling waned and waned and waned. It's all going downhill from there. By third semester, we couldn't find neither reasons nor energy to spend anymore efforts than necessary on studying. Things were a chore.

In the end, I still graduated with an average grade of > 70%. My friend burnt himself out and changed major later as he could not keep up with the initial one. He realized that if only he preserved, he wouldn't waste years re-studying.

You know, at the start of the race, everyone's at their best. It's not about how they start the race but rather how they are going to complete it. I barely made it in one piece. My friend burnt himself out. What about you?

Also, I'm in Viet Nam for holidays now. More specifically the northern part Ha Noi. It's crazy here. Internet is spotty at best so will update when I have the chance. I have a ton of personal stories to tell but not enough time dammit!

24 comments:

  1. you know who else used to follow his feelings? Hitler.

    :trollface:

    ReplyDelete
  2. We set these goals for ourselves and so often ignore that "whisper" or "gut feeling". If it's one thing I have learned, it's LISTEN..

    Enjoy your holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to stay strong with my studies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah i guess u do have a point, damn street walkers cant afford cars

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a happy vacation visit to Vietnam, maybe write on your blog about it, I've never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in college right now but I have no idea what I'm going to major in but have fun in Vietnam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coop! Haha nice tip man, looking foreward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cracks me up that people take 3 years deciding on their major.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to your new posts! Have fun there

    However, regarding school, you maybe should have chosen better :) I don't know I think my whole college might be interesting! Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hanoi, huh? Me love you long time, Asian girls are too beaucoop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in a similar situation.
    Me and my best mate, both acing the first semester. After that, downhill. I'm still in college, he dropped out.
    And I have this constant fear of becoming him and failing.
    Ugh.

    Anyhow, following and supporting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We start out all fired up but then life happens and kicks our asses a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bah. I started out not caring when I went to college. What burned me out was trying to do college and work full time.

    One day on my way to school I woke up doing 30 on the freeway. :O

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy the holiday!

    I know the feeling about gut feeling seems to be usually right in general things (not necessarily pool for me). When it comes to luck, I try to go with my gut, but sometime logic takes over too. :X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, it's me Marduk. I have a new blog now. Check it out.

    http://moreduckslastchance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vietnam? Sounds interesting I guess

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know much about Vietnam, be sure to make a good post about your time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I have learned to take life's disappointments in stride. When things don't work out like we plan..don't get discouraged. Just take it as a learning experience. To me..life is kinda like the movie "The Karate Kid" (the one with Ralph Macchio). You spend so many hours upon hours doing these tedious things..then you think it was all pointless... Then you have an epiphany that it wasn't all pointless, but just tiny little stepping stones to your goal. Then you win the big karate tournament and get the girl.

    ReplyDelete